Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Revised Expectations for the Season

I had to get away from the Cowboys for a week.  The game against the Bears was one of the most disappointing games I've seen in a long time for the Cowboys.  It was just pathetic.  The offensive line officially sucks.  Tony Romo still reverts back to his younger days when he feels like he has to do it all himself.  Dez Bryant is an idiot.  Kevin Ogletree can't be trusted to catch a ball that is perfectly thrown.  It was absolutely awful.

As I removed myself from the world of the Cowboys for a week I came to the realization that this team simply can't be expected to compete for a playoff spot with such a terrible offensive line.  DeMarco Murray has absolutely no chance to find room to run.  Tony Romo seems to be running for his life on every play.  So, at this point, I'm expecting an 8-8 record at best.

I do expect the offensive line to improve at least a little.  But I really wonder how much longer it will be before Tony Romo or DeMarco Murray gets injured.  If Romo goes down we could be looking at a 5-11 season.  I'm very worried that will happen.

I think Mackenzy Bernardeau has to be benched.  He is terrible and seems to be getting worse.  At least we know Doug Free has the ability to put it together and play good football.  He has done it before.  Bernardeau was terrible in Carolina and he is just as bad in Dallas.  Derrick Dockery should get a shot at right guard.

I don't have much more to say about the Cowboys right now.  The problem is clearly the offense.  If the Cowboys can't move the ball consistently and score points they aren't going to win many games.  It is really as simple as that.

On the bright side I do think that offensive lines can improve during the season.  Hopefully that will be the case for the Cowboys.  If the offense could even be average the Cowboys could be a dangerous team.  But the offense won't even become average no matter how well Romo or the rest of the skill players perform if there isn't any blocking.  Hopefully Bill Callahan has a magic formula to whip the line into shape.

2 comments:

  1. At this point, I'm not predicting a win in ANY game we play the rest of the year. I haven't lost faith, but I just feel that with lower expectations, if we do manage to squeak out 8 wins I'll be thrilled. We can still make the playoffs, but its going to take a renewed focus and commitment from EVERYONE. Players, Coaches, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read reports that Montrae Holland is staying in shape and is interested in signing a contract. Remember the difference he made in the OL play in 2011 when he was signed? If memory serves, Murray broke out with some big rushing games after Holland was signed last year. What are Garrett and Jerry waiting on? Go sign Montrae.

    ReplyDelete